Articles worth reading

San Juan's virus cases reach 73 

account_balanceSan Juan access_time4 days ago

San Juan City confirmed 73 cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) with 10 deaths. In its latest update, the city said it also had 125 persons under investigation (PUMs) and 262 persons under monitoring (PUMs) as of 6 p.m. of March 27. Mo...

Photo Courtesy Las Pinas PIO

DSWD promises cash to 18-million poor families

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) assured assistance to 18 million low-income households affected by the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine. “The aid will be given [to those] called poor, they are those who are...

Covid-19 cases in PH clim to 1,075

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The number of confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in the Philippines climed to 1,075 as of March 28, according to the Department of Health (DOH). The DOH reported 272 new cases on Saturday. "The total number of cases in the...

Metro Manila News

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte

Duterte supports cannabidiol use for epilepsy 

account_balanceMetro Manila chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

President Rodrigo Duterte supports the Dangerous Drugs Board’s (DDB) resolution allowing the use of cannabidiol (CBD) or marijuana for alleviating severe forms of epilepsy.

“Ever since naman iyon ang sinasabi ni Presidente. Kung medical, okay lang sa kaniya (Ever since, that’s what the President said. If it’s for medical purposes, it’s okay with him),” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing.

Panelo said Duterte is in favor of similar drugs for medicinal purposes, stressing that it would have to be a “case-to-case” basis.

“Kapag kailangan na kailangan sa ikabubuhay ng isang tao at mayroong scientific findings or medical findings na puwede iyon, hindi siya kukontra. Siguro case-to-case (If it is really necessary for the people and there are scientific findings or medical findings that it could be used, he won’t oppose it. Perhaps it’s case-to-case),” he said.

During a Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) campaign rally in Negros Occidental on March 8 last year, Duterte himself bared he is no longer in favor of the legalization of medical marijuana.

Panelo confirmed that Duterte does not see the legalization of medical marijuana happening within his term citing the risk that people could develop a dependence on the drug.

He said the lack of definitive findings on the effectiveness of medical marijuana could be a reason for Duterte’s reluctance to allow its legalization.

However, he said Duterte may still change his mind if definitive scientific findings confirm its advantages.

In an interview over CNN Philippines’ Newsroom, DDB Chair Catalino Cuy said the approval of the use of CBD does not necessarily increase the chances of the approval of the medical marijuana bill which has been pending in Congress since 2014.

Cuy explained that it could show that there might no longer be a need to legalize marijuana since CBD provides the same effect to patients in need.

He pointed out that the DDB simply reclassified medicines with CBD component in a bid to keep up with the standards of the United States Food and Drug Administration and its 0.1 percent tetrahydrocannabinol threshold which previously allowed CBD use in treatment.

Tetrahydrocannabinol is the main psychoactive compound which gives off the "high sensation" in marijuana.

He also clarified that DDB does not have the power to legalize medical marijuana, which remains illegal for both medicinal and recreational use under the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 or Republic Act 9165.

The aggressive crackdown on illegal drugs, which has resulted in the arrest of over 200,000 drug personalities and the death of more than 5,000 drug suspects, remains among the Duterte administration’s main thrusts.

date_rangeDate Published
1 month ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Photo courtesy of: PNP FB Page

PNP steps up biosafety plan

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

A walk-thru decontamination station has been put-up in Camp Crame to disinfect all persons entering the National Headquarters of the Philippine National Police. PNP Spokesperson, Police Brig General Bernard M Banac said this makeshift decontaminatio...

Pasay orders 24/7 operations of barangay hotlines

account_balancePasay chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

Pasay City Mayor Emi Calixto-Rubiano asked all chairmen of the city's 201 barangays to put into operation mobile phone (cellphone) hotlines for COVID-19, through which their constituents could communicate with them while these residents...

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte / PCOO

Gov't vows to equip health workers against Covid-19

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

The government vowed to equip health workers to better respond to the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic. In a televised public address late Monday night, President Rodrigo Duterte said the government is deploying the resources of governme...

Mandaluyong to deliver food packs to house renters

account_balanceMandaluyong chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

Mandaluyong City will deliver food bags to house renters during the enhanced community quarantine period, according to Mayor Carmelita Abalos. “Gagawin po namin ngayon, since alam na namin ang figures, mabibigyan na po kayo. Pipilitin ko hangg...

Photo courtesy of: Philippine Army

Army transports Landers food packs in Payatas 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

The Philippine Army delivered 1,500 relief packs from Landers Superstore to residents of Barangay Payatas, Quezon City on Saturday. Army spokesperson Col. Ramon Zagala said the food packs include five kilograms of rice, four assorted canned goods, a...

The Manila International Container Terminal / PPA

Congestion may force Manila port shutdown

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode6 hours ago

Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) General Manager Jay Daniel R. Santiago warned of a possible port shutdown if cargo owners and consignees continue to shun calls to withdraw cleared, ready for delivery and overstaying cargoes. Santiago said that desp...

Advertisement

×
SMC delivers food to poor communities, rubbing alcohol to frontliners 'Massive forced quarantine' eyed Bank loans to enjoy 30-day grace period PNP opens facility for quarantined personnel Some companies refuse to avail of workers' assistance program Early pension release for SSS members now ongoing Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature